I recently had to rebuild my dotfiles and haven't done so for several months, before I updated my Mac OSX to Mavericks. I got a nice little error when I tried to use vim after building command-t:

Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
Vim: Finished.
Segmentation fault

Apparently Mavericks uses ruby 2.0 instead of 1.8. Vim was compiled with Ruby1.8 so building with Ruby 2.0 fails. I fixed the issue by going to:

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions

In that directory were both versions of Ruby and a "Current" symlink pointing to 2.0. I deleted the symlink and created a new one to point to 1.8 and rebuilt command-t. Aha! It didn't work. It was missing the ruby header file for 1.8. I fixed that by installing Xcode command line tools using the terminal.

xcode-select --install

After that, I went back to build command-t and it was working again. I also deleted the "Current" symlink and recreated a new one again to point back to 2.0.


comments powered by Disqus